VHF RADIO REQUIREMENTS FOR BOATS
- “All category D, C, B and passenger vessels must be equipped with a VHF Marine Radio which must have a Shipstation Spectrum license issued by ICASA”
- ”The operator of a VHF Marine Radio must be in possession of an Operator’s Certificate (the old VHF Restricted RT certificate or the new Short Range Certificate(SRC) which includes DSC operation) – note that the SRC Certificate will become compulsory once SAMSA has completed the Installation of the DSC Radio network and when Telkom Maritime ceases to monitor aural watchkeeping on VHF channel 16
A.PROCEDURES TO APPLY FOR A SHIP STATION LICENSE:
- Complete the ICASA VHF Ship Station License application form , available from a Radio Dealer or the ICASA website
- Pay the required fee over to ICASA as per Bank details below , add your name and “Ship Station Application” as a reference number.
- Mail the Application form together with a Certified copy of your ID and Proof of Payment to one of the ICASA contacts as below- request an acknowledgement receipt
- If no reply received within a couple of days follow up and ask for a receipt .
- Once you have received an acknowledgement receipt you must produce these documents to the Radio Dealer to be able purchase your VHF Marine radio ( the Dealer will also require a copy of the license once issued )
For a new application you have to pay the application fees of R480 plus the yearly license fee selected from the options below:
For your convenience the following payment structure to choose from :
- 1 YEAR LICENSE @ R141 per License
- 2 YEAR LICENSE @ R 269 per license
- 3YEAR LICENSE @ R 386 per license
- 4YEAR LICENSE @ R 492 per license
- 5YEAR LICENSE @ R588 per license
(Fees for a five year license : R480 Application fee + R588 5 year license fee = R1,068)
ICASA BANKING DETAILS
ICASA, NEDBANK Corporate account
Account Holder : ICASA
Acc. No. 1462 002 927
Branch : 1462 45
REFERENCE: Your name and” Shipstation Application”
ICASA CONTACT PERSONS AND DETAILS :
|Marius Hattingh||041 394 1623||MHattingh@icasa.org.za|
|Deon Piek||051 411 5903||DPiek@icasa.org.za|
|Mmathabo Mgwenya||013 001 1367||Mpumalanga@icasa.org.za|
|Dennis Motlhabani||021 561 6807||DMotlhabani@icasa.org.za|
|Jacky Le Roux||021 561 firstname.lastname@example.org|
OBTAINING AN OPERATOR’S CERTIFICATE
Now you have bought your VHF DSC Marine Radio and obtained a Shipstation License for it , but remember you need to have a SRC ( Short Range Operators’ Certificate) to be able to use your DSC enabled radio on your boat .
To obtain this certificate you need to do a SAMSA Approved SRC Course and pass the prescribed Examination.
Once you have obtained your SRC Certificate ( or your Interim SRC Certificate) you can apply for your MMSI Number from ICASA :
Application for MMSI number:
- Pay R100 over to ICASA and use your Ship Station License number and the word “ MMSI “ as reference
- Send proof of payment , a copy of your Ship Station License and a copy of your SRC Certificate to ICASA and request that they issue you with an MMSI number.
Ms. Jacky Le Roux
Admin Officer: CPT Region Location: Western Cape
Phone: +27 21 561 6812
Fax: +27 11 566 4032